Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fabric District, Downtown LA

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to live so close to the Fabric District in Downtown Los Angeles. I always think it is just too much of a hassle to drive into LA to shop for fabric, but then once in awhile when I get there I remember what I love about the place. I also forget that I am so fortunate to live so close to a fabric district. I know many people only have a Joann's to shop at or a local fabric store, which tends to not carry as large a selection of apparel fabric as we wish they would. I have a hard time shopping for fabric online because I really love being able to touch the fabric before purchasing it. So I guess I thank my lucky stars that I live about 45 minutes from a fabric mecca.

Today a group of us headed into LA  to do some shopping. I was looking for some fabric for a few dresses that I have planned for the next few months. I was also looking for a few things to do an upcoming tutorial. Mostly I was going to get inspired, to come home and plan, and then return in a few weeks to get the specifics.

So I thought I'd share a little bit of our trip today.
9th St. store fronts
So much to take in.
Boxes and boxes of zippers everywhere.
Stores stuffed full
There was so much sequined fabric, I really want to use it for a dress!
Aisles and aisles of trim. AZI Payless
Fringe!! Perial Company
This place is packed with feathers. Perial Co.
 
And more feathers. Perial Co.
And in every store, walls of fabric. L.A. Alex Inc.
 Well that was our adventure. I have plans for a tutorial post, hopefully up by next week.

Here are the addresses for the stores listed above if you are in the area:

AZI Payless (beads & trim)
800 S. Maple Ave. Suite 104 & 105
Los Angeles, CA 90014

L.A. Alex Inc (fabric, mostly polyester but you can find some cotton in the mix)
416 East 9th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90015

Perial Company (fringe, feathers, ribbon, trims, masks, beads, rhinestones, buckram hat bases)
908 S. Maple Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90015

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful! Believe it or not I miss living in Southern California, I lived in Long Beach very close to the beach, went there almost everyday. Loved going to the fabric and fashion district just to browse, sometimes buy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I live in Sherman Oaks, and I just found your blog (on Sew Retro). I am heading down to the fabric district next week, on Tuesday!! I just bought a ton of Wearing History and Eva Dress patterns! Time to stock up, I will check these stores out. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah nuts! We were up in downtown yesterday too - just a couple of blocks away at California Millinery. We just didn't have time to go fabric shopping as well. I hope you found some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - If you haven't gone to Perail Company yet(its a couple doors down from Michael Levine's towards 9th St.) you've got to go! So much stuff for decorating hats.

    ReplyDelete